Sex Addiction Treatment Services in Essex
The harsh reality however, is that addiction is actually an illness within the brain making it possible for a person to become addicted to almost anything…or in some cases, anyone.
Today we’re looking at addiction to sex and love. Sex and love addiction are very common manifestations of addiction for the simple fact that it doesn’t involve an illegal substance and for the most part, is seen as far less harmful and destructive.
Sex and love addictions however, are unfortunately often overlooked due to a lack of obvious destruction and harm to the person involved and those around them.
How Is Sex/Love Addiction Measured/Diagnosed?
When it comes to sex and love addiction, it can’t be measured or diagnosed in quantity such as drug and alcohol abuse can. Instead, it’s measured by the negative impact it can begin to have on the individual’s life as well as those around them. Sex and love addiction can be categorised by an obsessive feeling or behaviour which leads individuals to repeat despite the consequences.
The behaviours associated with this type of addiction then become progressively worse over time, leading to breakdowns in personal relationships and sometimes even jobs etc. There are numerous behaviours associated with sex and love addiction. These are as follows:
- Staying in an ‘idealised’ relationship despite reality being different to what you believe it is
- Continuing to return to an abusive relationship
- Placing one’s own emotional wellbeing on others
- Craving attention from multiple relationships and continually seeking new sources of such attention
- Engaging in sexual activity with multiple partners
- Excessive/repetitive masturbation
- Engaging in interactions with prostitutes
- Overly excessive use of pornography
Possible causes of sex and love addiction can and do include:
- Family History – addictions including sex and love addiction can be learned behaviour from parents and other family members within the home. This is simply due to the child growing up to believe this behaviour is normal.
- Hormones – some individuals may have much higher hormone levels than others which can affect their sex drive, leading them to feel compelled to engage in excessive sexual activity.
- Trauma – for those who may have endured emotional, physical or sexual abuse during childhood or adolescence, sex and love addiction can be more common as their trauma is often the only reference they have toward a relationship and how it should look. Couple this with low self esteem and a desire to be loved and this can lead to the sufferer seeking out love and sex in the wrong places.
- Previous Bad Relationships – if an individual has suffered within a previous bad relationship, feelings of low worth or an obsessive feeling toward being in love can develop. This can lead to struggles seeking out healthy relationships.
Infinity Addictions Can Help
Here at Infinity Addictions, we can provide treatment and recovery options for sex and love addiction and we do so based on the individual addiction as well as the individual client.
From medical to psychological and social and environmental, we have a range of treatments to help any sex and love addict put their best foot forward on the road to recovery. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us today on 0800 3345541.
Thank you Infinity for sorting out the detox for my Dad. You are great.Catherine M
The case management service is brilliant and you have supported me so much I owe you my life. Im 6 months clean now and feel alive again thanks to you.Ben
Infinity arranged treatment for my daughter and have been amazing throughout the whole process. knowledgeable and always willing to help. I can't thank you enough as i've now got my daughter back.SarahJob Title
The family training was outstanding. You have given me such a good understanding of addiction and I am now able to help support my son. So informative.Denis